Saturday, August 24, 2013

40 Once in My Lap and It's Freezing My Junk

When I got dressed this morning I blindly pulled out a T from my nerd shirt bin.  It's a newish one and already one of my favorites.  Since it arrived in my mailbox I've worn it during a run along the C & O Canal and a weekend away in Philly for the Color Me Rad 5K.  It's also been on my person while I've hiked to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain.  But today of all days was the perfect day to "just happen" to wear it.  It finally dawned on me how much Pam Poovey and I have in common.  

I know.  I know. I know.  I'm an actual flesh and blood woman while she is a cartoon but hear me out.  I think I have a valid point!  While we both can have issues with our inner monologue, blurt out colorful exclamations, have a penchant for breakfast pastries (bear claws...rawr), love of a good shandy, adore our dolphin puppets, don tattoos and did some interesting things to get through college I think the most important thing is that we are both confident independent women.  

While Pam grew up on a "cheese farm" and, as I understand it, that's where a lot of her confidence came from...well...I did not.  Mine has waxed and waned over the years.  But today, after my latest, greatest and last (for a while anyway) piece of IKEA furniture was completed (after a run to Home Depot for a special drill bit might I add) I sat back on my red sofa, took a deep breath and looked around me.  All of the furniture as far as the eye can see was chosen by and built by me.  All of my art work, nicknacks and doodads were gifts from those who are dear to me.  Everything that I have is special, has true meaning and a place.  Everything else has been discarded or set aside for a later day.   I've finally created something that is truly mine in every way and I did it on my own.  It's taken me quite a while to get to a place of zen and I'm in that place today.  Right now.     

So yeah.  I guess Pam Poovey is my Power Animal?  SLIDE!  Rather...SPLOOSH!


No comments:

Post a Comment